my dog is getting scared of the storm so he’s hiding in the cat basket
YOU’RE NOT A CAT
YOU DON’T EVEN FIT IN IT
Yes! There are many Birth Centers across the US.
Birth Centers are cozy home-like houses that have the support necessary for birth emergencies but not the cold hostpital-y-ness of hospitals.
Birth Center Pros:
- Within 30 minutes (if not closer) to a hospital
- Has emergency medications, supplies, and all other necessary devices for emergencies
- Is cozy
- Has queen sized beds
- Whole family can attend
- Has big, comfortable tubs with endless hot water for waterbirths or showers
- Nurse in attendence
- Has a kitchen
- Has more midwifery-friendly and birth-friendly protocols than most hospitals
- Almost always discharges patients to their homes within 6-12 hours.
- Midwifery care - well educated in supporting laboring patients through natural birth and non-interventionist birth.
- All the tools and tricks and ropes and squat bars etc you could ever want.
I’ll get back to waterbirth safety in another post soon. Check back in!